Thursday, June 18, 2009

BEST book swap

It was book swap time again recently and I received my book this week. I look forward to the BEST book swaps as it gives me a chance to make a new, and different book. Oh yeah! and I also get a gorgeous book in return!! (BEST is the Bookbinding Etsy Street Team)

Look at this beautiful book! It is from Anna from PurplebeanBindery and is so cleverly made. The paper is quite special too. This is the little gem that arrived this week from the swap - lucky me!

(photo from the BEST blog)

It has a nice tall format - a bit bigger than a cheque book - it sits nicely in my hand.

Lovely Rhonda from MyHandboundBooks coordinates our BEST book swaps every time - she does such a great job - thanks Rhonda!

Here is my little offering for the swap: it's an accordian-bound book with pockets and three little stab-bound journals. I made a little 'paper bag' for it too.


I used cartridge paper and bits of ephemera for the pages of the little journals. My favourite bits are the coloured squares of book pages. I also like how it wraps up on itself. And, like a lot of the things I make, it is all rather small as you can see in the photo!

EDIT: I've just discovered my book went to Buechertiger (I received her little books last time!) and she's blogged about it too - her pics look a lot better than mine!!

I've also been making a few more stab-bound journals for the BrisStyle Indie Designers Markets (not long to go now!!), but these are slightly bigger and feature lovely vintage ladies, I'll post photos of them soon.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

love that fish print ...

Chubby Chieque said...

He he... so cuties you have down there? Love the fish prints too.

Hope you can over to my room to join the fun that will end next week-end.

Happy SSS

Sandrine said...

Great books...happy market preparing Ali!

Anonymous said...

I love your little pocket books and the Fishtheees as Miss Am calls them.

Also, I have a little surprise for you on my blog for being so lovely :)

Hey Harriet said...

I do love your handmade books Ali and this one is lovely. I'm needing to buy another one of your books so I'm very happy to hear you'll have some available at the market! I remember the ones you had exhibited at Reverse Garbage last year were gorgeous!

littlechrissy said...

Your handmade books are so lovely - I must have one!

Sharlene said...

How absolutely gorgeous are these!

edward and lilly said...

I'm so amazed by your bookbinding, just lovely.

I don't usually do this but I've given you a blog award, the details are over on my blog. Don't feel that you have to play along as I know we're all super busy at the moment :)

Hot Fudge said...

These handmade books are simply beautiful - what a lovely idea to swap items which have been made with such care. I know your books will go really well at our markets.

Helen said...

Gosh your book binding gals are talented - just like the other girls I am in awe!

Looking forward to seeing all your new designs at the BrisStyle Markets on the 4th xox

(I am a Jeelygnite journal junky after all)

xh

Unknown said...

I hope and pray you are doing well and enjoying the goodness of life.
Through my room’s window I watch the graceful bending of the palm tree on whose topmost feathers, birds play and chitchat. A humming bird comes very near me, but I have not nearly enough time for my eyes to focus on it. The chitchat around the corner suddenly ceases, my cats just arrived there.
Around, the dusty countryside unrolls grey and dull green and burnt by the dry season, which is now at its peak.
The last rains, two months ago, has run away with our roads, and now they crack and make clouds of dust.
From early morning, clouds mimicking rain cover the sky, now, by noon, they are parted by a pencil of blue.
I am a Brazilian man, 52 years old, a retired university professor, now a farmer.
I work as a volunteer for our local rural school and also for the library. My task now is to find people willing to donate us used Spanis and English books, so we can advance other languages learning.
We wonder if you could help us with this, please.
Our postal address is:
Sinfronio A Vieira
Caixa postal 114
CEP 74001 970 Goiania, Goias, Brasil
Thank you once more,
Love,
Sinfronio